Versatile and Healthy Edible Roses
All roses are edible, as long as they’ve not been treated with any chemicals. The most fragrant roses are usually the most flavorful, and often darker roses have a stronger taste than lighter varieties. They are delicious and provide some potential health benefits.
Rose petals have a lovely, delicate floral flavor that can enhance a variety of drinks and fruit dishes–and are the base of the easiest jam recipe ever. It’s a simple jam which must be kept refrigerated (although you may process in a water bath canner, if you want to make it shelf-stable).
Rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, this popular edible flower also has some great health benefits. For example, some studies suggest the compounds found in rose petals may help combat indigestion, constipation, urinary problems, stress, headaches, and arthritis. All that, and the pretty rose tastes great, too!
Now, on to the jam, the easiest jam recipe I’ve ever come across or created…
- 1 cup rose petals
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (1 Tablespoon)
- Put rose petals, sugar, and lemon juice into a blender container
- Blend until smooth, “jammy” consistency (add a little water if needed)
- In small sauce pan, over medium heat, bring mixture to a simmer
- Remove from heat and enjoy! (Store in the fridge.)